Lab balances and scales are used across a huge range of industries, not just in laboratories. Sectors including retail, industrial, education, and food all use balances and scales on a regular basis, and depend on them for their day to day applications. No matter the industry you are operating within, you need to have the right equipment in place in order to guarantee accurate results and efficient performance. Choosing the right balance or scale for your business is not always an easy decision, and it is vital you understand the ins and outs of these devices before making a decision.
Types Of Lab Balances
All balances work by measuring objects, and some offer extreme detail down to a granular level. Some industries, such as the food sector, will require ultimate detail and precision, while others, such as education might not require such detail. In order to choose the right lab balance for your industry, you need to be aware of the types available:
This is a type of professional weighing balance which is compact in size. Due to their small nature, compact balances are portable, making them great for use in a range of industries, particularly when space is scarce. Most compact balances are digital these days, and come equipped with a stainless steel weighing pan. Stainless steel is usually the standard because it can withstand all substances and is very easy to clean after use. This is a great advantage in food or industrial settings.
Industries which require ultimate detail often choose analytical balances because of their ability to measure a mass right down to sub-milligram ranges. This piece of kit offers extremely accurate and precise results, perfect for situations where exactness is critical. Due to their sensitivity, analytical balances can be very susceptible to their environment. To deal with this, the weighing pan is isolated in an enclosed and temperature controlled environment. This protects products from particles, dust, air currents and more. Analytical balances are good for use in industrial or laboratory settings where there is a lot of other equipment nearby. This is because they offer great protection from electrical and mechanical interference.
Any situation where complete precision is required can benefit from a precision balance. In addition to being incredibly accurate and precise, this kind of equipment offers a steady output even when conditions are not ideal. Unlike other kinds of balances, precision balances are much less likely to give a faulty reading during temperature fluctuations. These lab balances are the most common across a lot of industries because they offer accurate results and are easy to use.
Precision balances are a top choice among many industries including medical and pharmaceutical applications, where exact precision is critical. If you often need to weigh varied amounts in your business, then this is a great option as they can handle anything from a few kilograms to several hundred grams.
OHAUS Lab Balances For All Industries
At SciChem, we work with some of the best suppliers in the world. OHAUS are a trusted and certified manufacture of lab balances. They have products suitable for all industries, including:
- Laboratory: In a lab environment, you often need to have a range of balances to hand for different experiments. OHAUS offer analytical balances such as the Pioneer Semi-Micro which delivers accuracy and repeatability for weighing applications in a lab.
- Industrial: When it comes to industrial applications, OHAUS offer a range of industrial grade scales and lab balances. A popular balance for the industrial sector is the Compass portable balance which features an enlarged weighing platform, able to handle large samples.
- Retail: In the retail sector, jewellery balances are a popular choice as they can be used to accurately weight precious stones and metals. The Scout balance from OHAUS is ideal for weighing retail products with high accuracy.
- Food: If you are operating in the food industry, it is essential that you can weigh products with high precision. That is why a precision balance is a popular option for food manufacturers.
- Education: Education settings generally require a wide range of balances and ultimately what you need will depend on the level of education you are providing. Many educators choose mechanical scales and balances, like the OHAUS Junior Balance which is designed specifically for younger students.